1.30.2004

As Time Slips By

Though time, for now, may rest its head with me
Its calling, soon, will lead it other ways,
As years slip by, all too easily.

The gifts I found beneath my Christmas tree
Have faded into foggy yesterdays,
Though time, for now, may rest its head with me.

My younger years, a vivid memory,
Live on inside, but only as clich├ęs
As years slip by, all too easily.

My closest friends, the scent of potpourri,
Have melded into long forgotten days
Though as for time, it cools its heels with me.

The coffee spoons I use to stir my tea
Have rusted over time in dead cafes,
As years slip by, all too easily.

And as I sift through the rubble and debris
Of years that fill my lungs like a dusty haze,
Killing time still rests itself with me;
The years slip away, much too easily.